Frequently Asked Questions

Bridge Tolling Information
Which bridges are tolled?

The improved John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge (I-65 South), the new Abraham Lincoln Bridge (I-65 North) and the new Lewis and Clark Bridge, (connecting the Gene Snyder Freeway in Kentucky with State Road 265 in Indiana) are tolled.

Which bridges are not tolled?
The George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge (Second Street Bridge) and the Sherman Minton Bridge (I-64) are not tolled.
Are any vehicles exempt from tolling?
Transit Authority of River City (TARC) buses and authorized, registered emergency vehicles are exempt from tolls.
How do you pay a toll in a rental car?
If you are in a rental car, you should contact your rental car agency for terms and conditions of payment.  These transactions are often sent to the rental car company’s E-ZPass account, and must be paid through the rental car company. These transactions are not available for payment by RiverLink.
How do tolls work for non-automobile rentals such as U-Hauls?

You may have the option to temporarily add the rental vehicle to your RiverLink account, if you have an E-ZPass transponder. Please check to see if the facility on which you are traveling is part of the E-ZPass network. You may be charged through the rental company. Please check with the rental company regarding their policies. Details and policies can differ from one rental company to another. Tolls charged to vehicles added to your account will be your responsibility whether or not your transponder is in the vehicle until you remove them from your account.
As for rented trailers, tolls are based on the height of the vehicle and the number of axles. Additional axles will result in higher toll rates.

If a tractor or tow truck is pulling a vehicle that belongs to another company or individual, who is responsible for the toll?
The owner of each vehicle is responsible for paying the toll. Check with towing companies for details and specific policies regarding towing services.
Which bridges can I bike across? Will I be tolled for biking?
Pedestrians and bikers can use the Lewis and Clark Bridge, the Clark Memorial Bridge, and Big Four Bridge to cross the Ohio River. There are no tolls for pedestrians and bicycles.
How do our rates compare to other tolling rates?
RiverLink toll rates are comparable to or lower than tolls charged in other areas of the country.

Tolling (AET)

Are there toll booths?
No, RiverLink is all-electronic tolling. There are no toll booths, no coin buckets and no waiting in line. Traffic flows normally, without stopping. Sensors read transponders on drivers’ windshields and deduct the appropriate toll from their prepaid accounts. For those without a transponder, high resolution cameras capture license plates to match a plate to an existing account, or look up an address for billing purposes. Invoices are sent to the registered owner of the vehicle.
What is the margin of error in tolling systems like this?
All-electronic tolling systems are very successful, with accuracy rates nearing 100%. Please keep in mind, there may be a delay from the time you cross to the time it is posted to your RiverLink account.
Toll Costs
How much does it cost to cross one of the tolled bridges?
It depends on several factors. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Do you have a transponder? Is your car registered with RiverLink? How often do you cross? Please click here for rate information.
What is the toll rate for motorcycles?

Motorcycles are charged the same rate as passenger vehicles.

What if I have roof top luggage, accessories and/or cargo?

For passenger vehicles with roof top luggage, accessories and/or cargo, if the height exceeds 7 ½ feet, you will be charged as a medium vehicle, $5.00 if you have a transponder. Please click here for RiverLink tolling rates.

How can I open a RiverLink account?
Drivers can open a prepaid personal account online at, by phone (855-RIV-LINK) or in person at one of two customer service centers. The centers are located at 400 East Main Street in Louisville and 103 Quartermaster Court in Jeffersonville. The centers are currently open 7 a.m.- 7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 8 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday.
What do I need to open a RiverLink account?
You will need each vehicle’s make, model, year, color and license plate number, plus a payment method to establish your RiverLink account.
Account Types
There are three types of RiverLink accounts available: Personal, Commercial, and Government.
Personal Account Defined

Personal accounts require a minimum balance of $20 (or any higher amount you choose), and you can register up to four vehicles. When you reach a low account balance, RiverLink can replenish your account with an automatic charge to a credit card, debit card or checking account. The charge is automatic when you reach a low balance, and you will not receive further notification from RiverLink.
Drivers without auto-replenishment will receive low balance alerts, and must add more money to their accounts online, by phone or in person. If an account reaches a $0.00 or negative balance, higher toll rates will be charged and crossings are not eligible for the frequent-user discount.

Commercial Account Defined
Commercial accounts are prepaid accounts for those wishing to add more than 4 vehicles to their account. Commercial accounts require an opening minimum balance of $20 per vehicle, and there is no limit on the number of vehicles that can be registered to an account. A commercial account can be set up by calling 855-RIV-LINK and working with a specialized customer service representative or register online at Businesses that choose to visit a customer service center should bring an easy-to-read sheet with all vehicle information.
Government Account Defined
Federal, state, and other government entities may complete a Government Account Application. This application has a special approval process and requires a W-9 or a Letter of Exemption for those entities without a W-9, as evidence of eligibility. Approved government accounts are allowed to post pay for tolling charges.
Is there a limit on the number of cars that can be registered on one account?

A personal account is limited to four vehicles. Residents with more than four vehicles may open two or more personal accounts with the same address.
There is no limit to the number of vehicles that can be registered to a commercial account or a government account.

What is a RiverLink transponder? How do I get a RiverLink transponder? Can I get a transponder without a RiverLink account? How much does a RiverLink transponder cost? What type of transponder do I need?

A transponder is an electronic device that typically is placed inside the front windshield of a vehicle, near the rearview mirror, and is used to detect toll transactions when traveling on a toll facility.
Drivers with transponders pay the lowest toll rates. To get a transponder, you need to set up a prepaid account. RiverLink does not offer transponders without an account.

There are two types of RiverLink transponders:

  • A RiverLink local transponder, which is nontransferable between vehicles, allows a customer to pay tolls on the local tolled Louisville – Southern Indiana Ohio River Bridges. It does not work for any other tolling system. A RiverLink local transponder is free, one per registered vehicle. Drivers choosing a RiverLink local transponder will receive it when setting up their account, either in person or in the mail (7-10 business days). Transponders are mailed free of charge.
  • A RiverLink E-ZPass transponder allows a customer to pay tolls automatically when they travel on the tolled Louisville – Southern Indiana Ohio River Bridges and anywhere within the E-ZPass network ( The RiverLink E-ZPass transponder is transferrable among vehicles registered to a single RiverLink account. These transponders are $15 to purchase. Drivers choosing a RiverLink E-ZPass transponder will receive it when setting up their account, either in person or in the mail (7-10 business days). Transponders are mailed free of charge.
Is there a special transponder for motorcycles?
No. It’s recommended that motorcyclists use a RiverLink E-ZPass transponder, and purchase a transponder holder. Several holder options can be found through third-party vendors with an online search.
What if I already have an E-ZPass transponder from another tolling agency?
If you already have an E-ZPass transponder that works in the E-ZPass network, you do not need to purchase another transponder. Your E-ZPass transponder will work for the local tolled bridges. It is recommended that all customers check with their E-ZPass agency from which they obtained their transponder to assure no additional fees will be charged. To be eligible for the RiverLink frequent-user discount, you must have a RiverLink account and either a RiverLink local transponder (free) or a RiverLink E-ZPass transponder ($15 purchase).
If I get an E-ZPass transponder and want 3 vehicles on the account, do I need an E-ZPass transponder for each/all vehicles?
You may have one E-ZPass transponder shared among up to four (4) vehicles. Only one E-Z Pass transponder is needed for an account; however, it is recommended you get an E-ZPass transponder for each vehicle on your account in case drivers are traveling across tolled bridges at the same time.
What if I ordered a transponder, but did not receive it?
Allow at least two weeks for delivery. You can call RiverLink Customer Service or go to a RiverLink Customer Service Center in Louisville, KY or in Jeffersonville, IN, if you have questions about your transponder(s).
Is Florida's SunPass part of the E-ZPass network?
No, Florida’s SunPass is not currently part of the E- ZPass network, and will not work on our local bridges.
Is I-Pass part of the E-ZPass network?
Yes. I-Pass, used in Illinois and on the Indiana Toll Road, is part of the E-ZPass network and does work with local tolled bridges. However, to be eligible for the frequent user discount, you must have a RiverLink local or RiverLink E-ZPass transponder.
Can RiverLink E-ZPass transponders be used with fleet vehicles?
Yes, RiverLink E-ZPass transponders can be used with fleet vehicles on a commercial account.
What if I get a new vehicle?
Register your new vehicle on your RiverLink account and either request a free RiverLink local transponder or purchase an E-ZPass transponder. If your account currently has an E-ZPass transponder with less than four vehicles, you can add the new vehicle to the existing E-ZPass transponder.
What if I sell my vehicle?

Remove your transponder from your old vehicle and remove the vehicle from your RiverLink account. This can be managed online at You may also call RiverLink or visit a RiverLink customer service center.
If you purchase a new vehicle you can add it to your RiverLink account and you are eligible to receive a free RiverLink local transponder for your new vehicle.

Can I have two transponders in my vehicle at the same time- either two of the same kind of transponder or one RiverLink local transponder and one E-ZPass transponder?
No. Drivers should have only one transponder in their vehicle whether it is a RiverLink local, RiverLink E-ZPass transponder, or an E-ZPass transponder from another E-ZPass agency. If a user plans to share a RiverLink E-ZPass transponder among vehicles registered to a single account, it’s suggested that a RiverLink E-ZPass transponder be purchased for each driver on the account. Having two transponders in a vehicle can result in invoice errors, and may result in receiving double charges. Only RiverLink E-ZPass transponders are removable from a vehicle and portable from one vehicle to another. RiverLink local transponders are not transferable from one vehicle to another.
Do I need a RiverLink transponder for each car I own or may I move a transponder from one car to the other?
RiverLink local transponders may not be moved from one vehicle to another. Get a free RiverLink local transponder for each registered vehicle. RiverLink E-ZPass transponders may be moved among vehicles registered to a single RiverLink account.
Can two RiverLink transponders be linked to one account or will I have to set up a separate account for each transponder?
If you own more than one vehicle, you can get transponders to place in each of your vehicles and all can be linked together in a single account. A personal account can include up to four vehicles. A commercial account has no limit on the number of vehicles.
What if I don’t have a RiverLink transponder and I cross the bridge?
Cameras will capture the license plate number as each vehicle crosses over a tolled bridge. The system will match the license plate either to registered prepaid accounts or to motor vehicle records. Tolls will be automatically deducted from prepaid accounts. Customers without prepaid accounts will receive an invoice in the mail. Toll rates are higher for customers who choose not to use a transponder due to higher administrative costs.
Does my account balance carry over month to month?
Yes. A RiverLink account balances carry over month to month.
Is there a fee to receive a monthly statement?
There is no fee if you receive your monthly account statement by e-mail or access it online at For personal accounts, statements are $2 per month. The fee is waived if you have auto-replenishment. For commercial accounts the fee is $2 for the first 4 pages and is 20 cents for each additional page.
What is an inactivity fee and how does it work?

When an account becomes inactive (no tolling or other account activity) for 365 consecutive days, the account will (a) stop any auto-replenishment and (b) auto-withdraw a $5 inactivity fee from the account balance every month until the balance is depleted. The account will be closed when it reaches a zero balance.
Before an inactivity fee is charged, RiverLink will reach out to customers after 320 days of no activity, and offer a refund of the account balance. If a refund is not requested, the inactivity fee is charged after 365 days of no activity.
A single crossing on a local tolled bridge in a 365-day period qualifies as account activity. If you have an E-ZPass, any crossing in the E-ZPass network in a 365-day period qualifies as account activity.

I see a $x.xx "pending charge" on my bank registry – is this a duplicate charge?
Some customers may see a “pending charge” on their online bank statement, which is not an actual charge, and is shown by certain banks as they prepare and authorize an auto-replenishment charge. These types of pending charges should disappear without an actual charge being incurred.

Frequent User

Frequent User Discount Information

The frequent-user discount is per transponder, not per account.

To qualify for the frequent-user discount, a RiverLink transponder must be in a passenger vehicle only. You must be registered to a RiverLink personal account. You must make forty (40) crossings (20 round trips) in a calendar month. For each transponder that qualifies, RiverLink will automatically apply a 50% credit to the account for the first 40 crossings and apply a 50% discount to any additional crossings made using the qualifying transponder during that same calendar month. Only drivers with personal accounts in good standing and RiverLink transponders are eligible. Trips taken with a $0.00 or negative balance will not count toward the frequent-user discount.

Can crossings for different transponders/vehicles be combined to achieve the frequent-user discount program?
No. The 40 trips associated with the frequent-user discount are per transponder, not per account. Only the RiverLink E-ZPass transponder can be moved from vehicle to vehicle registered to the same personal account. You can target a single E-ZPass transponder for the majority of trips.
Do I have to do anything to set up or track the frequent-user discount program for myself?
No. The frequent-user discount is automatic. You don’t have to do anything. When a transponder makes the 40th trip in a calendar month, there will be an automatic credit to the account. Every additional crossing that calendar month is automatically discounted.
Enforcement and Violations
What happens when a customer does not pay?

Customers who do not pay their tolls will be charged additional fees and may face restrictions on vehicle registration until tolls and fees are paid. Other enforcement mechanisms, such as collections or legal action, may be taken to help ensure all drivers pay their fair share.

  • A first invoice (toll notice) is sent after two one-way crossings, or a single roundtrip, on any of the local tolled bridges. Any additional crossings in the vehicle are collected for at least the next 15 days, and an invoice is sent. It includes tolls accumulated, with no fees added. Drivers have 30 days to pay the bill. Invoices can be paid online, by mail, by phone or in person at a RiverLink customer service center.
  • After 30 days of nonpayment, a second invoice is sent that includes a $5 administrative fee. Drivers have 20 days to pay the second invoice.
  • If the second invoice is not paid, the driver is in violation and a $25 violation fee is added to the third invoice (violation notice). The driver has 30 days to pay the third invoice.
  • If the invoice is not paid by the due date, the account will be placed in collection status with a $30 collections fee added.
  • When an invoice is in collection status, the vehicle is subject to a registration hold and in Kentucky, commercial motor vehicles may be put out of service by commercial vehicle enforcement officers until the account is settled.
How are residents outside of Kentucky and Indiana be held accountable for crossing the bridges?
Drivers without transponders traveling on a tolled bridge receive an invoice. If that invoice is not paid, it moves to the collections process, and could be subject to other enforcement options. Kentucky and Indiana are working toward agreements with other states to make sure enforcement is as broad as possible. Broad enforcement keeps tolling fair and keeps rates low.
Is information on toll collections and toll revenue released?
Yes. The Tolling Body and the public is regularly updated on the use and operations of the toll system.
Tolling Body
Who determines toll rates and sets tolling policies?
The Tolling Body is made up of the Chairperson of the Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority, the Secretary of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, the Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Transportation, the director of the Indiana Finance Authority or their designees as well as one additional member of KPTIA and one additional member of the IFA.
Where does my toll money go?

Toll revenues are shared equally by Kentucky and Indiana and used to meet the financial obligations to pay for the project, or for maintenance of the bridges.

The John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge, the Abraham Lincoln Bridge and the new Lewis and Clark Bridge are tolled to help fund the $2.3 billion Ohio River Bridges Project. The project, which has a projected economic impact of $87 billion and is expected to support over 15,000 jobs over the next 30 years, would not have been possible without tolling.

Why is the Kennedy Bridge being tolled?
Extensive improvements will add at least 35 years of new life to bridge, which opened in 1963. The Kennedy was also reconfigured with new approaches to carry six lanes of I-65 southbound traffic.
Will toll rates change or are they permanently set at this amount?
Tolls will increase annually, beginning on July 1, 2018, with inflation (measured by the Consumer Price Index) or 2.5 percent, whichever is higher.
When will tolling end?
Tolling will continue until all of the project’s financial obligations are satisfied, currently estimated to be through 2053. Policy makers will determine at that time whether tolls continue to be necessary.
Invoicing – Toll Notices
What information do I need to pay a RiverLink toll notice online?

Visit RiverLink online at and click on the green Pay Toll Notice/Invoice button in the upper right corner.
To pay your toll invoice online, please have your invoice number, license plate information (state and number), and a payment method (credit card, debit card or checking account). If you have any questions, please contact RiverLink customer service at 1-855-748-5465.

How do I pay my RiverLink toll if I don’t have a RiverLink transponder account?

There are two ways to pay your toll if you do not have a RiverLink account.

  • You can wait until an invoice is mailed to you and pay using the instructions on the notice (you should receive an invoice (toll notice) within 3-4 weeks), or
  • You can pay 7-10 days after you have crossed a bridge by contacting RiverLink either by visiting a customer service center in Louisville, KY or Jeffersonville, IN or calling customer service at 1-855-748-5465. .
What if I lose my RiverLink 1st Toll Notice, 2nd Toll Notice, or Violation Notice?

Please contact RiverLink customer service at 1-855-748-5465.
You may also visit customer service centers in Louisville, KY or Jeffersonville, IN.

When will you charge my RiverLink account after I pass through the toll gantries?

Tolls charged via a RiverLink Local or RiverLink E-ZPass transponder may be visible on your account within a few minutes or they may take up to 7 days to post. Tolls charged to vehicles which are not on a prepaid account may take longer to post. Please allow several days from the date of crossing before reaching out to RiverLink to make payment.
Transactions on E-ZPass transponders from other agencies could take several days to post. If you have questions about those transactions, contact the agency where you have established your account.
When viewing transactions on your RiverLink account, make sure you’re viewing all transactions, and not only recent transactions. If you have a $0.00 balance or negative amount on your RiverLink account and cross a tolled bridge, you will be charged a higher rate. You must have a RiverLink account in good standing to receive lower, transponder rates and to be eligible for the frequent-user discount. Trips taken with a $0.00 or negative balance will not count toward the frequent-user discount.

How do I dispute a tolling transaction?
Mail, email, or deliver your toll dispute form to RiverLink customer service. Include the completed and signed Toll Dispute Form and any required documents (see toll dispute form for details). Toll disputes must be submitted to RiverLink within 60 days of the first invoice (toll notice) date or the date the toll(s) posted to a RiverLink account. Please click here for the Toll Dispute Form.
I made a mistake (or had an error) when I set up my account.
Call a customer service representative at 855-RIV-LINK, visit a customer service center, or e-mail RiverLink Support.
I cannot complete my online account because the registration link does not work.
Call a customer service representative at 855-RIV-LINK, visit a customer service center, or e-mail RiverLink Customer Service.
Transponder mounting questions

Mounting directions are included with your welcome letter. Transponders are mounted on the inside of the windshield, near the rearview mirror. Transponders are mounted as high and as central as possible. Mounting instructions can be found here: Transponder Mounting Instructions
Transponders must be mounted properly to ensure tolls are assessed correctly, and the lowest rates are paid.
For further directions, call a customer service representative at 855-RIV-LINK, visit a customer service center, or e-mail RiverLink Customer Service.